Unusual preys of minke whales? (fwd)

From: pita admininstrator (pita@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 12:09:44 EDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:09:11 -0400
From: GREMM <info@gremm.org>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: Unusual preys of minke whales?

------
Greetings,
Every week we gather news of whale sightings from a network of observers
along the St. Lawrence Estuary and Gulf (Quebec, Canada).
One of our observers reported that he has seen a minke whale feeding on
several occasions in groups of eider ducklings accompanied by females. It
would surge halfway out of the water among the birds. These ducks swim at
the surface and dive to feed on small molluscs and other benthic organisms.
Could it be that one minke specialized on an unusual prey type, or is it
purely incidental?

Is anybody aware of reports of minke whales feeding on unusual prey types?

Thank you for answering at info@gremm.org.

Véronik de la Chenelière
Group for Research and Education on Marine Mammals
GREMM
108 de la Cale sèche
Tadoussac, Qc, Canada G0T 2A0
tel.: 418-235-4701