IWC news (fwd)

From: pita admininstrator (pita@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 19:11:15 EDT

ICELAND'S ATTEMPT TO RESUME COMMERCIAL WHALING
FAILS

London, Monday 23rd July, 2001: Iceland's attempt to resume
commercial whaling immediately was rejected by the International
Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting in London today.

Iceland, which quit the IWC in 1992, wanted to rejoin the
Commission with a reservation to the current international
moratorium on commercial whaling and announced that it wanted
the moratorium overturned as quickly as possible so whaling could
resume.

Today, after a series of votes, the IWC concluded that Iceland will
only have observer status during this week's meeting and will not
be allowed to vote on key issues, such as the possible resumption
of commercial whaling or whether to establish a new whale
sanctuary in the South Pacific.

Before the votes, the world's other two pro-whaling countries,
Norway and Japan, tried to support Iceland's through a series of
legal manoeuvres. The whaling nations were backed up by at least
nine countries that Japan has bought with foreign aid packages to
vote with it at the IWC (1). This resulted in the votes being very
close.

Greenpeace Whale Campaigner Richard Page said: "Greenpeace
is relieved that Iceland's brazen attempt to undermine the IWC has
been defeated. But the fact that the votes were so close is the
direct result of Japan's vote rigging of the commission and is of
grave concern."

(1) Six East Caribbean nations, plus Guinea, the Solomons and
Panama.

Contacts:
Matilda Bradshaw, Greenpeace International on + 31 6 535 04701
Louise Edge, Greenpeace UK on + 44 7801 212 993

For further information see http://whales.greenpeace.org

Subject: JAPANESE VOTE BUYING SINKS SOUTH PACIFIC
WHALE SANCTUARY