Gray whale rib cage (fwd)

From: Pita Admininstrator (pita@whale.wheelock.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 12:16:48 EDT

    Subject: Gray whale rib cage

    Hi:

    Here's the response from my friend Jim Mead at Smithsonian:

    Ok vertebral counts from:

    Andrews, R. C.
    1914
    Monographs of the Pacific Cetacea. 1. The California gray whale
    (Rhachianectes glaucus Cope).
    Memoirs of the American Museum of Natural History, New Series,
    1(5):227-287, pls. 19-27.

         The vertebrae of Rhachianectes, through the combination of
    characters, differ widely from those of the other known genera of
    baleen whales, the general resemblance being rather more toward
    Megaptera than Balaenoptera or Eubalaena.

         The extremely rugose surfaces of practically all of the
    bones of the skeleton is interesting. I know of no other large
    Cetacean, except Physeter macrocephalus, in which this condition
    is so pronounced. Fifty-six vertebrae seems to be the normal
    number for Rhachianectes glaucus, the formulae of three
    skeletons being as follows:

    C D L Ca. Total
    7 14 12 23 = 56 (R. C. A.) Am. Mus. Nat. Hist.
    7 14 12 23 = 56 (R. C. A.) U. S. Nat. Mus.
    7 14 14 21 = 56 (Beddard) British Mus.

         I think the question involving the ribs, which is prefaced by: "In
    humans and sea lions
    the ribs articulate twice, articulating with both the centrums and the
    transverse processes of
    the vertebrae." has to do with whether the ribs are double-headed. The
    first 7 ribs are
    double-headed in the gray whale, the last 7 are single-headed.

        The only author who had much to say about the ribs was Slijper:

    Slijper, Everhard Johannes
    1936
    Die Cetaceen - Vergleichend-Anatomisch und Systematisch. Ein Beitrag
    zur vergleichenden Anatomie des Blutgefa"ss-, Nerven- und
    Muskelsystems, sowie des Rumpfskelettes ser Sa"ugetiere, mit Studien
    u"ber die Theorie des Aussterbens und der Foetalisation.
    Capita Zoologica, VI, VII:1-590, 253 figs.

        He wrote so much and in a language in which I am not fluent -

    Perhaps steer them to:

    Slijper, E. J.
    1962
    Whales.
    Hutchinson and Co., London, 475 pp.

    Hope this answers your questions.

    Phil Clapham

    --
    The Society for Marine Mammalogy will be holding its 14th Biennial
    Conference from 28 November to 3 December 2001, in Vancouver, BC.  Visit

    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Protected Species Branch Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543, U.S.A.

    tel. 508 495-2316 fax 508 495-2066 email: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov