Ziphius and plastic debris (fwd)

From: Pita Admininstrator (pita@whale.wheelock.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 10:35:23 EDT

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:58:35 +0100
From: Andy Williams <andy.williams@BISCAY-DOLPHIN.ORG.UK>
To: ECS-ALL@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Ziphius and plastic debris

Recently 3 Cuvier's, stranded on the Iberian coast and examined by
colleagues from AMBAR have had significant quatities of plastic in their
stomach.

The individuals were 6.18m, 4.9m and 4.56m in length

There have been other reports of Ziphius ingesting plastic and this was
highlighted in a poster by Poncelet, Von-Canneyt and Boubert at the SMM
conference in Maui. On that occasion the individual had 33kg of wet plastic
in its stomach, that individual was an immature male.

This may be a particular problem for Ziphius because of the type of prey
they generally feed on (Santos et al 2002 and Williams et al in prep and in
review) and the depth at which it is aqcuired.

It would be interesting to have a breakdown of all of the types of plastic
to see if there is consistency of type, ie clear bags or clear sheets,
opaque bags etc.

I hope this contributes to the discussion.

Andy

Andy Williams
Southampton Oceanography Centre
School of Ocean and Earth Sciences