Mysticeti and plastic debris (fwd)

From: Pita Admininstrator (pita@whale.wheelock.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 10:36:17 EDT

From: MARMAM Editors <marmamed@uvic.ca>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: Re: Mysticeti and plastic debris (fwd)

From: Christina Lockyer <chl@dfu.min.dk>

This represents a depressing piece of news, and is a sad reflection of our
general inattention to safe disposal of rubbish. The one thing that did
occur to me is that this number of bags seems a very high concentration by
chance in the stomach. Clearly plastic bags may float around and thus be
taken in by any filter feeding baleen whale. However there is also the
possibility of unsafe rubbish disposal by ferries that may merely toss large
collections of rubbish overboard while in transit. Thus the fault may not
rest precisely with individuals per se. Can we be certain that all
commercial ferries dispose of rubbish environmentally safely? Does anyone
have any information or comment?

Christina Lockyer.