Mysticeti and plastic debris (fwd)

From: Pita Admininstrator (pita@whale.wheelock.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 14:11:18 EDT

Subject: Re: Mysticeti and plastic debris (fwd)

We had a harbour porpoise in eastern Canada a couple years ago with
plastic in the stomach. This animal was emaciated, was probably not yet
weaned, and had ingested unusual prey (three-spined stickleback). We
suggested that the plastic ingestion was a result of pre-weaning
separation from its mother, and the animal was ingesting various
inappropriate items. This was published as a note:

Baird, R.W., and S.K. Hooker. 2000. Ingestion of plastic and unusual prey
by a juvenile harbour porpoise. Marine Pollution Bulletin 40:719-720.

A PDF copy of the in press version is available for download from my web
site at Dalhousie.

Cheers,

Robin

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Nick Tregenza wrote:

> Thanks for that observation, Dan.
>
> It's a new idea to me - plastic in the stomach as a symptom of extreme
> hunger rather than as a purely incidental long term burden or even the cause
> of starvation. How could you test the three hypotheses?
>
> Can you tell how long the plastic has been in the stomach? Maybe the the
> print fades in an acid environment?
>
> What species are prone to accumulate plastic?
>
> Do heavy plastic burdens correlate with emaciation of known cause - like the
> morbillivirus encephalitis?
>
> Any observations welcome!
>
> Nick Tregenza

Robin W. Baird, Ph.D.
Post-doctoral Fellow, Biology Department, Dalhousie University
and
Cetacean and Sea Turtle Team, NMFS, NOAA Beaufort Lab
101 Pivers Island Road, Beaufort, NC 28516 USA
Phone: 252-728-8601
Fax: 252-728-8784
e-mail: robin.baird@noaa.gov or rwbaird@is.dal.ca
http://shrimp.ccfhrb.noaa.gov/