Subject: harbour seal status, threats and management in Canada (fwd)

Sun, 23 Mar 1997 18:15:01 -0500 (EST)

J. Michael Williamson
   Principal Investigator-WhaleNet <http://whale.wheelock.edu>
   Associate Professor-Science
   Wheelock College, 200 The Riverway, Boston, MA 02215
voice: 617.734.5200, ext. 256
fax:    617.734.8666, or 617.566.7369

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 17:52:44 -0400
From: "Robin W. Baird" <rwbaird@is.dal.ca>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: harbour seal status, threats and management in Canada

Greetings,

I am preparing a report on the status and management of harbour seals
in Canada, under contract to the Committee on the Status of
Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC). Since COSEWIC will use this
report as a basis for designating the status (e.g., Vulnerable,
Threatened) of harbour seal populations in Canada, having the most
current information available will increase the likelihood that the
designations accurately reflect the status of this species.  I am
trying to track down any recent publications, reports, or abstracts
from conference presentations on this species, particularly anything
related to stock differentiation or threats in Canadian waters and
adjoining areas. The COSEWIC review process takes a considerable
period of time, and my report will probably not be published for at
least 2 years (sometime in 1999 at the earliest), thus anyone willing
to share any pre-prints of publications, manuscripts submitted, or
unpublished information would have lots of time to up-date how this
information is cited before my report is ever released. For any
unpublished information which is cited in the report, a copy of the
relevant section in which it would be cited would be sent for
approval.

   Thanks very much.

     Sincerely,

      Robin