Subject: KEIKO'S PROGRESS (fwd)

Mon, 28 Apr 1997 10:52:20 -0400 (EDT)

J. Michael Williamson
   Principal Investigator-WhaleNet <http://whale.wheelock.edu>
   Associate Professor-Science
   Wheelock College, 200 The Riverway, Boston, MA 02215
voice: 617.734.5200, ext. 256
fax:    617.734.8666, or 617.566.7369

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 06:56:48 -0400
From: "CFN (by way of Dan Morast <freedom@lists.desktop.org> by way of
     Stephen              Best <sbest@inforamp.net>)" <freedom@lists.desktop.org>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: KEIKO'S PROGRESS

TO: ALL

FROM:

BEVERLEE HUGHES, President
FREE KEIKO FOUNDATION
PHONE 541-867-3540,3544
FAX 541-867-3542
EMAIL: keiko1@pioneer.net

KEIKO'S PROGRESS.

Today, Keiko is a normal healthy teenage killer whale.  He is independent,
confident and sometimes defiant and aggressive.  He has shaken off off his
mental slumber and become alert to his environment. His papilloma is
externally unidentifiable.  Keiko's appetite, energy and playfulness is
robust. In general Keiko is in great shape, mentally and physically.

RESEARCH

We have contracted with several scientists at Woods Hole Oceanographic
Institute and the University of California at Santa Cruz to better
understand Keiko and other North Atlantic killer whales.  State of the art
technology is being installed to monitor and record  Keiko's underwater
vocalizations, document his swim speeds and respiration periods, assess his
ability to detect prey acoustically and also gather physiological data
needed.  Ongoing research will continue throughout the year.

RELEASE PLANS

Today, we do not know when/if Keiko will be released.  However, we believe
the above mentioned research will indicate if Keiko is a suitable
candidate.As soon as we know more about his ability to echo-locate and hunt
food , we will make the appropriate determinations.  If everything works out
the way we hope, release to a sea pen could be in 1998.

OUR APPROACH

Our goal is to engage in scientific research and public education while we
rehabilitate Keiko.  Developing accredited scientific protocols for
reintroduction will be our first contribution to the scientific community.
Given the popularity of Keiko in Newport, OR, we can afford to finance the
pursuit of pure science and research in hopes of understanding Keiko and
other killer whales.  This research will not interfere with release plans,
but should just increase their integrity.

NEXT STEPS
Upcoming plans include stocking live fish with regular release in the pool,
a search for Keiko's pod utilizing his database of vocalizations and
development of a long term plan for future usage of our facility after
Keiko's release.
FUTURE COMMUNICATIONS
Updates will continue every quarter.  I apologize for the recent breakdown
in communications; the learning curve has been very steep.  Please call or
email if I can provide any additonal information.