Subject: Whaling:International Whaling (fwd)

Fri, 23 May 1997 11:08:38 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 22 May 97 03:36:00 GMT
From: r.mallon1@genie.com
To: marmam@uvvm.uvic.ca, pita@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: International Whaling

International Whaling

   WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Republican lawmaker and four environmental
and animal-protection groups urged the Clinton administration
Tuesday to pressure Norway and Japan to stop hunting whales.
   Pennsylvania Rep. Curt Weldon described the killings as a
"practice from a bygone era that has no place in modern society."
   President Clinton needs to use "his bully pulpit to say we want
this practice to stop," Weldon told reporters. "We in the
Republican Party have to join hands with the administration to show
our opposition."
   A nonbinding, worldwide moratorium on commercial whaling has
been in effect since 1986. The ban permits a limited number of
whales to be killed for scientific research.
   Japan has annually hunted whales under a government program that
it says qualifies as scientific research. Norway resumed commercial
whaling in 1993 after a six-year hiatus and is allowed to do so
because the country had objected to the moratorium originally.
   Environmentalists fear a return of large-scale, commercial
whaling if some countries continue to flout the moratorium.
   Representatives of Greenpeace, the Humane Society of the United
States, the International Fund for Animal Welfare and the World
Wildlife Fund joined Weldon's call.