Subject: Seals:NMFS PROPOSED CULL OF SEALS AND SEA LIONS (fwd)

Mon, 9 Jun 1997 21:00:30 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:55:02 +0000
From: DIAN HARDY <dian@ecostewards.org>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: NMFS PROPOSED CULL OF SEALS AND SEA LIONS

As the author of a recent posting to Marmam charged with having
mischaracterized the draft report to Congress prepared by NMFS (in
consultation with Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission), I wish to
clarify my earlier comments.  There are indeed numerous references to
"lethal removal" on pages 12-15 of the draft report, under the
"Recommendations" heading.  Moreover the draft report states, at page
11, "...salmonids need to be given precedence when conflicts arise
between these protected species."  Perhaps the writer is concerned by my
use of the term "cull."  According to Webster's New Collegiate
Dictionary, "cull" means ...(1) to select from a group ...(2) to
identify and remove..." And that is exactly what is being proposed in
this draft report. Certainly, selective culling now can mean population
level culling in the future, especially in the absence of habitat
restoration as a priority. To me, NMFS position is scapegoating marine
mammals. The writer from NOAA gave useful advice when suggesting Marmam
subscribers read the draft report for themselves.  For a bound copy of
the draft report to Congress and the useful technical memorandum, call
Joe Scordino at 206.526.6143.  End of the public comment period is June
26, so time is of the essence.  Dian Hardy for the Committee for
Conservation of Seals and Salmon