Subject: Re: IWC: Blue whale may be coming back (fwd)

Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:25:35 -0500 (EST)

Response--
below first message

> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 97 12:35:00 GMT
> From: r.mallon1@genie.com
> To: marmam@uvvm.uvic.ca, pita@whale.simmons.edu
> Subject: Blue whale may be coming back
>
> Blue whale may be coming back from near-extinction
>
>     By Christine Tierney
>      MONACO, Oct 24 (Reuters) - Blue whales, the largest mammals
> on earth, may be rallying from near-extinction but it will be
> years before anyone can be certain, scientists say.
>      The International Whaling Commission (IWC), which is holding
> its annual meeting in Monaco, estimates around 460 blue whales
> live in the southern oceans, based on a study completed in 1991.
>      A few hundred more may live in the northern hemisphere.
>      "There are probably fewer than 1,000 left," said Sidney
> Holt, a marine biologist at the International League for the
> Protection of Cetaceans. "They're so rare, they're hardly ever
> seen."
>      In a recent 10-year study of their population, only 30 blue
> whales were spotted even though they need to surface often,
> taking breaths every two minutes on average, he said.
>      At the start of the century, there were probably 250,000
> blue whales, which can measure more than 35 metres (100 feet).
>      "It's very difficult to find out if whale stocks are
> increasing or decreasing. It will probably be another 10-15
> years before we know if blue whales are increasing or not,"
> said Holt, a longtime adviser to the scientific committee.
>      "The rarer and more dispersed whales are, the less
> accurately they can be counted. So it's a few hundred, plus or
> minus several hundred percent," said Justin Cooke, a
> mathematician with the World Conservation Union.
>      The large whales have been protected from hunters for three
> decades. Pollution, depletion of the ozone layer and ultraviolet
> radiation pose the biggest threats today.
>      "Ozone depletion is just as deadly as the whaler's harpoon.
> Whale conservation is no longer just about how many whales we
> can kill," said Steve Trent of the London-based Environmental
> Investigation Agency, in a reference to the IWC hunting quotas.
>      But some scientists say the anecdotal evidence on whales is
> encouraging.
>      Cooke said Icelandic data on whale sightings suggest the
> blue whale is on the increase in the northern hemisphere. He
> said there may be more than 1,000 in northern waters.
>      The IWC's chairman Peter Bridgewater said signals picked up
> by national defence monitoring systems may also suggest a rise
> in the blue whale population.
>      The blue is a member of the balleen, or toothless, whale
> family. Of the balleen whales, which feed mainly on tiny shrimp,
> the only abundant species is the minke.
>      At under 10 metres (30 feet), it was ignored by 19th and
> early 20th century commercial whalers who targetted the larger
> balleen species, the blue, the fin, bowhead and humpback.
>      The IWC estimates there are around 760,000 minke, which are
> hunted today by Norwegian and Japanese whalers despite a 1982
> [...]
Sirs;

The attached article is interesting as it points out the abysmal lack of
information we have regarding these magnificent animals. Here in Santa
Barbara, we have some data which may help to fill in this information
gap.

The blue whale population off California is estimated by reliable
methods to be about 2,000 individuals. Most of these animals have been
using the Santa Barbara Channel as a summer feeding since just 1992.
This reliable stock of animals, generally accepted to be the largest
concentration of blue whales during the summer months, have been the
focus of several NOAA and university funded research projects over the
past few years.

So reliable are these animals that my whale watching charter boat, the
CONDOR, posted good sightings of blues every day from May 15th to
September 12th of this year, (with the exception of August 24th when bad
weather kept us out of the area).

We are affiliated with the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History and
the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary in whose waters the blues
and humpback whales congregate to feed. Either of these organizations
can give you more information on this stock of blue whales.

Contact me with questions or comments.

Regards;

Fred Benko
Captain M/V CONDOR