Subject: Monster: Scientists kill marine (fwd)

Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:39:23 -0500 (EST)

                      J. Michael Williamson
Principal Investigator-WhaleNet <http://whale.wheelock.edu>
                   Associate Professor-Science
  Wheelock College, 200 The Riverway, Boston, MA 02215
             voice: 617.734.5200, ext. 256
            fax:    617.734.8666, or 978.468.0073

"Follow in my wake, you've not that much at stake,
For I have plowed the seas, and smoothed the troubled waters"
                        Jimmy Buffett

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 98 13:01:00 GMT
From: r.mallon1@genie.geis.com
To: marmam@uvvm.uvic.ca, pita@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: CSIRO: Scientists kill marine

CSIRO: Scientists kill marine 'monster' mystery

   JAN 12, 1998, M2 Communications - An examination at the weekend has
confirmed the so-called 'monster' found on the Tasmanian west coast two
weeks ago is the remains of a whale.
   Mr Barry Bruce, a marine biologist at CSIRO Marine Research in Hobart,
examined the carcass with officers from Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife
Service.
   Mr Bruce said attempts will now be made to identify the species of
whale through genetic testing at CSIRO Marine Laboratories in Hobart.
   "We can see how some people got excited about the remains based on
the initial photographs.
   "Before an examination, the most plausible explanations were that it
was going to be a piece of whale blubber or shark tissue and once an
inspection had been made, it was obvious the remains were blubber from
a whale, which would have died at sea and decayed before washing
ashore.
   He said the dried sinews on the surface of the remains gave the
appearance of matted hair.
   "But it is important that we take the investigation one step further
to establish the species of whale and therefore provide a more accurate
record on strandings to remove some of the mystery in future.
   "There is still a lot we don't know about our seas and sometimes
these beach findings can reveal new and important information," he
said.
   Dr Irynej Skira, a wildlife biologist at Parks and Wildlife, said
that from an examination of the remains, it was a simple matter to rule
out the 'monster' theory that prevailed in the media for several days.