Subject: Right Whales:NZ southern right whale press release (fwd)

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 19:56:42 -0500 (EST)

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 00:19:20 -0800
From: MARMAM Editors <marmamed@UVic.CA>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: NZ southern right whale press release (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 14:59:54 GMT+1200
From: n.patenaude@auckland.ac.nz

A clarification for those of you that felt compelled to comment on the
Press release:

I was misquoted on a number of issues:

1) I never said the whales where GENETICALLY distinct from Argentina and
South A frica.  Our work does show that they are distinct from Western
Australia.  So nobody wor ry, I haven't been working on samples I don't
have.

2) I was misquoted on the number of srw in the Southern Hemisphere as
well- not a few hundred- I said probably in the low thousands- never mind

3) I never said I worked on North Atlantic rights in ALASKA!!! I said I
had work ed in Alaska, and I was wearing a North Atlantic Right Whale
t-shirt during the interv iew.

On the other hand I did say the mushy bit about right whales.  I thought a
touch of sentimentality would be good for the overly severe impression the
public has of scientists. I probably will never live it down.

And I did say that they beat humpbacks any day.  Which I think they do!
Anybody in their 'right' minds know that!

Cheers,

Nathalie

Ecology and Evolution Group
School of Biological Sciences