Subject: Internships: Manatee Internship Available (fwd)

Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:31:00 -0500 (EST)

                      J. Michael Williamson
Principal Investigator-WhaleNet <http://whale.wheelock.edu>
                   Associate Professor-Science
  Wheelock College, 200 The Riverway, Boston, MA 02215
             voice: 617.734.5200, ext. 256
            fax:    617.734.8666, or 978.468.0073

          "I must confess, I could use some rest.
            I can't run at this pace very long............
    It's really quite insane, I think it hurts my brain."
                        Jimmy Buffett

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:38:37 -0800
From: MARMAM Editors <marmamed@UVic.CA>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: Manatee Internship Available (fwd)

From: "Ackerman, Bruce" <ACKERMAN_B@epic66.dep.state.fl.us>

Manatee Internship Available
St. Petersburg, Florida

Three nonpaid intern positions are available in the Florida Department of
Environmental Protection's manatee photo-identification program in St.
Petersburg, Fla.  The internships will last from June 1 through August 1,
1998.

FDEP is looking for highly motivated college students or graduates with a
science-related major and a willingness to learn about manatee field
research.

Interns are expected to contribute 30-40 hours per week for the entire two
month s.  A portion of the time will be spent in the field in boats and on
land assisting staff in photographing manatees in the Tampa Bay area.
Interns will be trained in photo-identification analysis, which includes
identifying individual manatees by their scars, and sorting slides for the
southeastern U.S. manatee photo- identification catalog.  Interns will
also be responsible for maintaining field equipment (cameras, boat, etc.).
Additionally, they may be involved in public outreach and other
manatee-related projects.

To qualify for one of these positions, applicants must have:

1. Be currently enrolled in college or be a recent college graduate with a
 science-related major,
2. Experience using a 35mm camera and zoom lens,
3. Small-boat experience and U.S. Coast Guard boater certification, or
certification from a boater safety course from school or state completed
 beforearrival,
4. A valid driver's license,
5. A U.S. citizen or Green Card,
6. Photo-identification experience with marine mammals (preferred),
7. The ability to work independently.

Intern application package should include:
1. A letter of intent, explaining what you expect to gain from the internship.
2. Two letters of recommendation, preferably from professors or from
employers in science-related work experience.
3. One set of official transcripts from colleges attended.

Send application package to:

Lenisa Tipton
100 8th Ave. SE.
St. Petersburg, FL   33701-5095.
TIPTON_L@HARPO.DEP.STATE.FL.US

No phone calls please.

Deadline for receiving applications is February 28, 1998.