Subject: Seas: Clinton Proclamation of the Ye (fwd)

Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:46:34 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 98 12:04:00 GMT
From: r.mallon1@genie.geis.com
To: marmam@uvvm.uvic.ca, pita@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: Clinton Proclamation of the Ye

Clinton Proclamation of the Year of the Ocean

   WASHINGTON, Jan. 28 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following was released
today by the White House:
   YEAR OF THE OCEAN, 1998 - - - - - - - BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED
STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION
   More than 70 percent of the Earth's surface is covered by water,
and more than half the world's population lives within 50 miles of a
coastline.  We rely on the ocean as both a source and sustenance of
life on our planet.  It contains a wondrous abundance and diversity of
life, from the smallest micro-organism to the mammoth blue whale. It is
a key source of food, medicine, energy, commerce, and recreation for
the peoples of the world, and the more we learn about its influence on
climate and weather, the more we realize its impact on our safety and
quality of life.
   We are only beginning to understand the depths of the ocean's
mysteries, but we are quickly learning one crucial lesson: the ocean's
resources are limited, and we must work together to preserve them.
Many areas are already overfished; decades of pollution, including
industrial waste, sewage, and toxic runoff, has taken its toll on the
health of the ocean and its living creatures.  Many species of fish are
threatened with extinction, and even our precious coral reefs, once a
safe haven for an amazing variety of animal and plant life, have
suffered greatly.
   Because the ocean is a treasure that all nations of the world share
in common, we must work in partnership to become wise stewards of its
many riches.  We must strive together -- at local, national, and
international levels -- to preserve the ocean's health, to protect the
marine environment, and to ensure the sustainable management of the
myriad resources the ocean contains.
   Dedicating 1998 as the Year of the Ocean is an important first step in
this worldwide endeavor.  Throughout the year, individuals,
organizations, and governments will participate in activities designed
to raise public awareness of the vital role the ocean plays in human
life and of the equally vital role that human beings must play in the
life of the ocean.  The Year of the Ocean provides us with an
extraordinary opportunity to learn more about the ocean's unique
environment and to collaborate on protecting and preserving its
invaluable resources.
   NOW, THEREFORE, I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, President of the United States
of America, do hereby proclaim 1998 as the Year of the Ocean. I
encourage the Governors of the States and the Commonwealth of Puerto
Rico and officials of other areas subject to the jurisdiction of the
United States to participate in the observance of this year. I invite
all Americans to take this opportunity to learn more about the ocean
and its vast biodiversity and to become involved in keeping our coastal
waters safe and clean.
   IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day
of January, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and ninety-eight,
and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred
and twenty-second.
   WILLIAM J. CLINTON