Subject: Multiple species mass strandings (fwd)

Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:27:27 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:17:49 -0500
From: Dr K C C VAN WAEREBEEK <kvwaere@mail.cosapidata.com.pe>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: Multiple species mass strandings

Dear Jim:

Multiple species mass strandings seem to be very
rare indeed. Off the top of my head I know of only one case
beside yours, three species were involved:

On 1 June 1946, 75 "G. macrorhyncha" (short-finned pilot
whales) accompanied by 20 Tursiops truncatus and 15
Delphinus delphis stranded at Yoff, Cap Vert Peninsula,
Senegal, as reported by  Maigret (1994). Yoff is a known site
of  cetacean strandings.

Whether the cited Delphinus is really D.delphis, or rather D.capensis,
I may have some more information on later this year as I complete
a review of all cetacean specimens in Senegal collections.

Maigret, J. 1994. La presqu'ile du Cap-Vert au Senegal region
privilegiee pour les echouages massifs de cetaces. Bull. Inst.
fond. Afr. noire Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar ser. A, 47: 103-108.

Jacques Maigret can be contacted at the Paris Museum d'Histoire Naturelle.
Success with your research,

Koen

Dr. K.C.C. VAN WAEREBEEK  (Director)
Peruvian Centre for Cetacean Research - CEPEC
Jorge Chavez 302, Pucusana, Lima 20, PERU
kvwaere@mail.cosapidata.com.pe
fax/ph +51-1-430 9406