Subject: JJ - Gray whale (fwd)

Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:48:17 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:13:02 -0400
From: Phillip Clapham <Phillip.Clapham@noaa.gov>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: Gray whale

     I echo Jim Moore's comment about the contention that JJ could survive
     as long as she passed the two-day mark.  There is no reason for saying
     this.  I have seen young baleen whales (that are entangled and unable
     to feed) starve to death over extended periods, probably months.
     Given the fasting capability of this species, an animal could clearly
     survive on body fat for a long time.

     Regarding availability of prey in California waters, there are a lot
     of records of gray whales remaining in the northern part of the region
     over the summer, so presumably suitable prey can be found.

     Phil Clapham
     phillip.clapham@noaa.gov