Subject: Pingers' could prove saviour f (fwd)

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:55:42 -0400 (EDT)

                      J. Michael Williamson
Principal Investigator-WhaleNet <http://whale.wheelock.edu>
                   Associate Professor-Science
  Wheelock College, 200 The Riverway, Boston, MA 02215
             voice: 617.734.5200, ext. 256
            fax:    617.734.8666, or 978.468.0073

          "Mother, Mother Ocean, I have heard your call,
   Wanted to sail upon your waters, since I was three feet tall"
                        Jimmy Buffett

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 98 13:32:00 GMT
From: r.mallon1@genie.geis.com
To: marmam@uvvm.uvic.ca, pita@sun.simmons.edu
Subject: Pingers' could prove saviour f

Pingers' could prove saviour for porpoises

  By John von Radowitz, Science Correspondent, PA News
   Electronic "pingers" to save porpoises from being killed in fishing
nets are to be tested under a new research programme supported by the
Government.
   The acoustic devices are attached to fixed fishing gear and emit a
high frequency signal to frighten off porpoises.
   Their effectiveness has already been demonstrated in the laboratory
by Government-sponsored researchers at Loughborough University,
Leicestershire.
   Now trials will take place under real-life conditions in the Celtic
Sea, off Cornwall, as part of a project funded by the European Union.
   Fisheries minister Elliot Morley said: "I am very encouraged with
the work on `pingers', which seem to have real potential to save
significant numbers of porpoises.
   "We must reduce harbour porpoise casualties in fixed nets in the
Celtic Sea and I warmly welcome the co-operation of the Cornish
fishing industry in the new trial being led by the Sea Mammal Research
Unit."
   Harbour porpoises often become entangled in fixed fishing gear on
the sea floor and perish when they are unable to escape and come up
for air.