Subject: Orcas Attack, Kill Bryde's Whale (fwd)

Fri, 24 Apr 1998 13:43:59 -0400 (EDT)

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01BD6DDB.C2FF0440

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:45:27 -0400
From: June Woodward <woodward@avana.net>
To: pita@sun.simmons.edu
Subject: Orcas Attack, Kill Bryde's Whale

An Orca pod playing around two whale watching boats suddenly broke off and
rushed to attack a Bryde's whale.  The attack was coordinated, swift, and
deadly for the whale.  It was all over in about 40 minutes, and took place
in shallow waters near the southern tip of Isla San Jose, B.C.S. on April 10, 1998.
We on the boats had no idea how the orcas located the Bryde's, or if it was
already injured or sick.

The complete pod, including calves, fed on the whale.  However another orca
pod no more than 2-3 miles away did not come to feed.   After they ate, the
killer whales resumed their games around the whale watching boats.

I believe there is no earlier report of such an incident.  The boats, both
American, are the Searcher  out of San Diego, and the Sea Lion, owned by
Special Expeditions.  Their  more than 70 passengers witnessed the events.
If you need further details, contact the onboard naturalists for both boats.

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01BD6DDB.C2FF0440

An Orca pod playing around two whale watching boats suddenly broke = off=20 and
rushed to attack a Bryde's whale.  The attack was = coordinated,=20 swift, and
deadly for the whale.  It was all over in about 40 = minutes,=20 and took place
in shallow waters near the southern tip of Isla San = Jose,=20 B.C.S. on April 10, 1998.
We on the boats had no idea how the orcas = located=20 the Bryde's, or if it was
already injured or sick.

The = complete pod,=20 including calves, fed on the whale.  However another orca
pod no = more=20 than 2-3 miles away did not come to feed.   After they ate,=20 the
killer whales resumed their games around the whale watching=20 boats.

I believe there is no earlier report of such an = incident. =20 The boats, both
American, are the Searcher  out of San Diego, = and the=20 Sea Lion, owned by
Special Expeditions.  Their  more than = 70=20 passengers witnessed the events.
If you need further details, contact = the=20 onboard naturalists for both boats.

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01BD6DDB.C2FF0440--