Subject: IWC: Brazil to propose South Atlant (fwd)

Sun, 10 May 1998 11:12:25 -0400 (EDT)

          "Mother, Mother Ocean, I have heard your call,
   Wanted to sail upon your waters, since I was three feet tall"
                        Jimmy Buffett

Date: Sun, 10 May 98 12:24:00 GMT
From: r.mallon1@genie.geis.com
To: marmam@uvvm.uvic.ca, pita@sun.simmons.edu
Subject: Brazil to propose South Atlant

Brazil to propose South Atlantic whale sanctuary

    BRASILIA, May 8 (Reuters) - Brazil will propose the creation
of a whale sanctuary in the South Atlantic at a meeting next
week of the International Whaling Commission (IWC), the
country's Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
     "With the proposal to create a South Atlantic sanctuary,
the idea is to guarantee the protection of various species of
large whales in the mating areas and stimulate scientific
research," the ministry said in a statement.
     Brazil, which banned whaling in 1987, receives large numbers
of whales, including Antarctic whales, and has turned their
visits to its vast coastline into a tourist attraction.
     The IWC was due to meet between May 11 and 20 in Oman, the
statement said.