Subject: Entanglement:East Stellwagen HBW (fwd)

mike williamson (williams@www1.wheelock.edu)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:23:58 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re:East Stellwagen HBW

Sorry for the delay in update, but e-mail was crashed...

Anyway, CCS located the whale but were unable to disentangle it yesterday.  They
and probably most of the whale watch companies are on stand-by if there is
another sighting.  The entanglement is difficult to spot because the gear is
tight around the tail stock with not much trailing and there are no buoys.  In
addition, the animal is taking 10 minute dives and is swimming low in the water.

CCS will be examining ID shots obtained over the week to determine exactly how
many different entanglements we actually had.

A correction from yesterday:  the entangled whale and escort were probably not a
mother/calf pair.

Subject:    East Stellwagen HBW
Author: Kimberly Thounhurst
Date:       6/24/98 3:18 PM

The Center for Coastal Studies disentanglement team is out on the eastern side
of the Bank preparing to disentangle a humpback whale.  The animal was reported
to have net around its tail.  The vessel that reported the entanglement took
documentation which hopefully will enable us to determine whether this is the
same whale that was sighted entangled on Monday evening.

This animal today is apparently a cow escorted by (?escorting?) a calf.

The USCG Provincetown has a 22-footer out with CCS.

We are also investigating the possibility of another humpback entanglement with
a gear description that does not match the one CCS is currently working on.