Subject: Cape verde Re: Whales (fwd)

Whalenet What account (what@www1.wheelock.edu)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:50:20 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:39:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Fred Wenzel <fwenzel@www1.wheelock.edu>
To: deyoungh@ccds.cincinnati.oh.us,
    Whalenet What account <what@www1.wheelock.edu>
Subject: Re: Whales (fwd)

Dear Heather
      Well. where shall we start.  You have found one of the few
scientists from North America who has been to the Cape Verde Islands (CVI)
four winters to research humpback whales in that region of the North east
Atlantic.
      Your question is a good one!  You will need to conduct some research
on the American and CVI whalers and as you do...you will learn that the
large Cape Verdean population found in Massachusetts (especially Boston,
New Bedford, Nantucket) are mostly decendents of early whalers who hunted
humpbacks in the Cape Verdes.  Black whalers were "free men", and often
were men of wealth in the whaling industry, especially when compared to
the African-American slaves of the 1800"s.

     The future of humpbacks in the CVI can take three approaches

1) future regarding research in the region.  What conservation, education
and research is presently on-going in the CVI. One recent publication is
listed below and I have another paper in the works.

Reiner, F., M.E. dos Santos, and F.W. Wenzel. 1996. Cetaceans of the Cape
Verde Archipeligo. MArine Mammal Science 12(3):434-443.

2) What future considerations could be undertaken by the CVI goverment
regarding conservation measures.  Humpbacks are an endangered species in
the N. Atlantic.  A great deal of information has been gather within the
western N. Atlantic, but very little in the E. N. Atlantic.

Smith et al. 1999. An ocean-basin-wide mark recapture study of the
North Atlantic humpback whale (Megatera novaeangliae). Marine Mammal
Science 15(1):1-32.

You will need to look into the international laws and treaties including
CITES (Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species),
Endangered Species Act, and the Marine Mammal Protection Act.  The CVI is
not a member of CITES.

3) Whales are now a large international business...whale watching is
operating in 30 plus countries around the world.  This winter the first
whale watching operation in the CVI has started.  This vessel, R/V
Corvette from Europe is offering 6 one week sessions for europeans to
visit the islands and look for humpbacks and dolphins.  March 1 - April
15th.

The future of humpbacks is a mesh of conservation, education and research,
both locally and internationally. The CVI has been a critical habitat for
a small population of humpbacks that are calving in and among these
islands.  How will whale watching effect this population?  The future will
require a great deal of research and education to determine what
conservation measures will be needed for this population

You have a good project. Let me know if I can be of any further
assistance.  You should ask your area college/university library if they
carry the journal Marine Mammal Science.  If not we can mail you copies of
these papers.

Frederick Wenzel
Research Administrator
WhaleNet