Subject: Population:Availability of NMFS Stock Assessment Reports (fwd)

Thu, 18 Mar 1999 07:35:20 -0500 (EST)

          "Mother, Mother Ocean, I have heard your call,
   Wanted to sail upon your waters, since I was three feet tall"
                        Jimmy Buffett

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:40:50 -0800
From: "James V. Carretta" <jcarretta@caliban.ucsd.edu>
To: MARMAM@UVVM.UVIC.CA
Subject: Availability of NMFS Stock Assessment Reports

Dear Marmam:

        The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) is required to publish Stock
Assessment Reports for all stocks of marine mammals within U.S. waters, to
review new information every year for strategic stocks and every 3 years
for non-strategic stocks, and to update the stock assessment reports when
significant new information becomes available.  Pacific stock assessment
reports published by the Southwest Fisheries Science Center (SWFSC/NMFS)
are now available on the World Wide Web through the Southwest Fisheries
Science Center Homepage (http://swfsc.ucsd.edu) through the 'Publications'
link.  Reports may be accessed directly through
http://swfsc.ucsd.edu/sars/.  In addition, reports from SWFSC and other
NMFS centers (Alaska and Atlantic regions) are now available in PDF format
through the NMFS Office of Protected Resources Home Page at
http://www.nmfs.gov/prot_res/mammals/sa_rep/sar.html.

        Pacific stock assessments published in 1997 contain information on all
marine mammal stocks which occur in EEZ waters of California, Oregon,
Washington, and Hawaii.  The 1998 Pacific report contains significant new
information on 7 marine mammal stocks in California, Oregon, and Washington
waters (harbor seal, northern fur seal, harbor porpoise, Mesoplodont beaked
whales, and minke whale).