IWC summary

whe_william@flo.org
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 13:18:44

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 13:16:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: WHE_WILLIAM@flo.org
To: whalenet@vmsvax.simmons.edu
Subject: IWC summary

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 10-JUN-1994 12:05:16.24
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Marine Mammal Summary

Date:         Fri, 10 Jun 1994 08:22:20 -0500
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         GBUCK@crs.loc.gov
Subject:      Marine Mammal Summary
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

Marmam Group:

     I am posting part of a daily update I do for congressional staff on marine
mammal public policy issues as I see them -- my selection of issues which I
view as having potential public policy implications for Congress.  My roles is t
provide objective, non-partisan, unbiased public policy analysis for Congress.
Thus, it would help me to be able to pass this summary by those on this list
from time to time (weekly?  monthly?) to get input about areas where my
objectivity could be improved, where someone's bias shows through and
should be adjusted, and where there are simply other issues of which I am
unaware.  Anyway, attached is a file with yesterday's summary.  Generally I
add new items every morning, and remove items after they are about a month
old.  Items on the summary are modified as I receive new information.  I try to
be brief and concise.

     I would appreciate some feedback on this summary.  Comments on the
contents of the summary should be directed to me (gbuck@crs.loc.gov), while
comments on the usefulness of posting this regularly/occasionally to this list
might be openly discussed on the list.  Thanks for the help.

                                             Gene Buck
                                             Congressional Research Service
                                             gbuck@crs.loc.gov

Summary follows:

Marine Mammals
        .
        GATT Panel Report.  A GATT dispute panel announced in late May
that the United States had acted contrary to GATT by banning imports,
through intermediary nations, of tuna caught by surrounding dolphins.
        .
        IWC Annual Meeting.  The IWC concluded its annual meeting in
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, on May 27, 1994.  The IWC adopted a revised
management procedure (RMP), which could provide the basis for the
resumption of limited commercial whaling within 2 to 10 years; increased the
bowhead whale quota for Alaskan Natives; and denied a request by three
Japanese coastal communities to kill 50 minke whales annually.  On May 26,
1994, delegates voted 23-1 to adopt a compromise Antarctic whale sanctuary
proposed by Chile, reducing the sanctuary size to about 8 million sq. miles to
avoid Latin American territorial waters.
        .
        Research and Commercial Whaling.  Norway began its annual whale
research program in late April with a goal of harpooning 112 minke whales,
and announced a commercial harvest quota of 189 minke whales for 1994 on
June 6, 1994.  The United States is evaluating whether or not to impose import
sanctions on Norway for its resumption of commercial whaling.  Meanwhile,
IWC scientists are recalculating minke whale population estimates in the
Northeast Atlantic, lowering previous estimates.  On May 2, 1994, Japan
notified the IWC that it would like to expand its research program to take 100
minke whales annually in the north Pacific.  On May 30, 1994, Iceland's
Marine Research Institute reported to the Iceland Government that whale
stocks were sufficient to allow a catch of between 100 and 200 fin whales and
200 minke whales.
        .
        ATOC Project Delayed.  An EIS is being prepared on the "Acoustic
Thermography of Ocean Climate" project, which would use transmission
speeds of loud underwater low-frequency sounds to measure changes in
ocean temperature as a means of monitoring global climate change.  On May
14, 1994, project officials announced a five-month controlled study of how
ATOC sounds affect marine life.  The full ATOC project will be conducted only
if the study confirms that the effects of the ATOC sounds are minimal.