Case Study: Hong Kong Dolphins-View 2

Michael Williamson (whe_william@flo.org)
Mon, 14 Dec 1994 18:33:59

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 18:37:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@flo.org>
Subject: Case Study: Hong Kong Dolphins-View 2
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 14-DEC-1994 17:01:32.93
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Re: Dolphins

Date:         Wed, 14 Dec 1994 10:06:39 BDB
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Andre Battata <POSASB@BRFURG.BITNET>
Subject:      Re: Dolphins
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
              10 Dec 1994 04:34:00 UTC from <r.mallon1@genie.geis.com>

I totally agree that the situation of the Hong Kong's population of
humpback dolphins is critical, but I think that this press release has
mixed up some things. If I'm wrong please someone correct me.

On Sat, 10 Dec 1994 04:34:00 UTC <r.mallon1@genie.geis.com> said:
>Dolphins
>
>By DEIRDRE CHETHAM
> National Geographic
  (deleted)

>   Relatively little is known about the marine mammals, also known
>as Indo-Pacific humpbacked dolphins, that dwell in murky waters
>near river mouths, in this case Hong Kong's Pearl River.
>port facilities and a massive land reclamation project.

>   Dredging fills the harbor water with silt, making it difficult
>for the dolphins to find food.

  Aren't those two paragraphs contradictory? If they already live in murky
waters (and I think that the waters of Hong Kong Bay are very turbid, to say
the least), then putting more silt in the water would have very little
effect to the dolphins.

>   The Hong Kong dolphins are most commonly found in groups of four
>to 12, called pods, near the confluence of the Pearl River and the
>China Sea. Because they must breathe every two minutes, they rarely
>venture into water deeper than 8 meters and tend to keep to a
>narrow strip of water northwest of Lantau, Hong Kong's largest
>outlying island.
  Now this seems very strange to me. I have to breathe every 2 seconds
and I have ventured in waters much deeper than 8 meters. The dolphins
probably keep to region for differents reasons, not because they have
to breathe "every two minutes".

  I know that that was not a scientific paper and it was intended for
the general public, but for the actions of those interested in saving
the dolphins be taken seriously they have to give real facts. If people
start to see contradictions in the informastion given, they will tend
to give little atention to the problem.

Virtually yours,

     Andre S. Barreto       |   Laboratorio de Mamiferos Marinhos
  (posasb@brfurg.bitnet)    |   C.P. 474    Rio Grande  RS
                            |   96201-900
                            |   Brasil
 | "Problems worthy of attack, show their value hitting back"     |