Case Study: Tursiops in Brazil

Michael Williamson (whe_william@flo.org)
Mon, 16 Dec 1994 13:43:52

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 13:37:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@flo.org>
Subject: Case Study: Tursiops in Brazil
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 15-DEC-1994 11:52:42.35
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Helping Tursiops in Brazil

Date:         Thu, 15 Dec 1994 12:31:52 -0200
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Marcos Cesar de Oliveira Santos <marcosos@cat.cce.usp.br>
Subject:      Helping Tursiops in Brazil
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

Sao Paulo, December 15th, 1994

Dear Marmamers:

After the last episode evolving injuries from a male Tursiops truncatus
to human beings, we are keeping efforts to solve this problem. I would
like to thanks for great suggestions coming from Richard Connor, Kathy
Wang, Gottfried Mayer-Kress and Annie Weaver. I am getting in touch with you.

I am trying to develop 3 action plans:

1) Try to coordinate a local public education showing them the truth about
all these situation and about the dolphin(s). With folders, conversations,
trough journals, radios and mainly TVs, show them the reality and that the
dolphins are wonderful animals that can be dangerous if provoked, because
they are wild animals.

2) Try to control what media is writing and speaking. They are always
making reports about sharks attacks in Recife (northeast Brazil) and at
the same time they speak or write about the "attacks" of the dolphin.
Unfortunatelly TV Globo is making this big mistake. I am asking them all
to avoid the words "attack", "killer", "enemy", "killed", and other ones:
they are not suitable in this case! All the dolphin actions were
where you (marmamers) live, I would like to ask you all to make the same
thing. It is not only a dolphin that they are talking about, but dolphins
and whales in general!

3) Try to start a conditionating program with the dolphin. A Brazilian
ex-dolphins and orcas trainer lives in Caraguatatuba, and is helping
since the beggining. Working with the dolphin in the water we can control
his movements, give him the contact he is looking for with swimmers and
make some behavioral studies. Besides that we are observing his health
conditions.

To reach this 3 objectives I contacted Brazilian's federal environmental
protection agency, IBAMA, in Sao Paulo and gave them all the information
I had about the species, other cases like this all over the world, how
this problems have been solved and what we could do here. The great
problem I have here is that many people wants to help and each one says
one thing different to the others. I asked them to make a small
coordinator group and attend only this group, otherwise they will loose
control of this situation. They are studying the case.

I am going to Caraguatatuba (230 km of Sao Paulo) on Friday, 16th and
stay there until 22nd of december. Unfortunatelly I am going to loose
contact with you all until next Friday. But I insist that suggestions are
all welcome and that we need to work together in cases like this. I am
trying to do my best in the name of this wonderful mammals. Thanks for
your help and kind attention. Have a nice Christmas and a happy new year!!!
Greetings,

Marcos Cesar
Biologist - Universidade de Sao Paulo
e-mail code: marcosos@cat.cce.usp.br