Info Source: Info on releases of Whales (Free Willy??)

Michael Williamson (whe_william@flo.org)
Mon, 23 Feb 1995 16:46:13

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 16:45:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
Subject: Info Source: Info on releases of Whales (Free Willy??)
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 23-FEB-1995 11:32:03.69
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Re: Freeing Willy?

Date:         Thu, 23 Feb 1995 19:12:44 +1300
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Terry Hardie <terry@bytes.gen.nz>
Subject:      Re: Freeing Willy?
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

On Thu, 23 Feb 1995, Anderson, Gordon wrote:

> The thoughful piece by Jaap v/d Toom had a lot of meat in it and raised
> some important issues about re-release, particularly of an animal of that
> size and mobility.
>
> Another reference worth looking at is
>
> Gales, N and Waples, K. 1993. The rehabilitation and release of
> bottlenose dolphins from Atlantis Marine Park, Western Australia.  Aquat
> Mamm. Vol.19 No.2: pp49-59.

Another good publication centered around Keiko's release is a reference
Ken Balcomb put together called "Cetacean Reintroductions". It has 36
pages and contains a good list of Cetacean reintroductions and references
which, I think, will be very helpful in Keiko's release.

Copies of the paper can be obtained from:

Center for Whale Research
Friday Harbour
WA 98250

Terry