Case Study: Seal Hunt/Slaughter??

Michael Williamson (whe_william@flo.org)
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 16:06:47

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 15:51:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
Subject: Case Study: Seal Hunt/Slaughter??
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 27-FEB-1995 15:03:04.95
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Re: Seal Slaughter

Date:         Mon, 27 Feb 1995 14:39:00 AST
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         "Jerry Conway,
              DFO. Marine Mammal Coord. DFO Halifax N.S."
              <Jerry=C=Conway%HX1FHM%DFOSF@SFNET.DFO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Seal Slaughter
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

To Jeff Lederman et al:
Not to belabour the issue but there is no "seal slaughter" planned for St.
John's Newfoundland.  What exists and has for quite a number of years is a
hunt of the coast of Newfoundland/Labrador and in the Gulf of St Lawrence for
Harp and Hooded seals.  The Total Allowable Catch (TAC) is 186,000 for Harps
and 8000 for Hooded. The average take over the past ten years has been 57,000
harps and a few thousand Hooded well below the TACs.  Since 1985 the taking
of "white coats" and "blue backs" ie "baby" seals (why don't we call lambs
baby sheep) for commercial purposes has been banned and there has been a
moritorium imposed on the use of vessels greater than 65ft.  What presently
exists is a hunt by fishermen from small fisheries dependant communities
taking advantage of an economic oppertunity that annually arrives of the
coast. The financial benefit for individual fishermen from sealing is not
significant which at most is a few thousand dollars (Can) but it allows
fishermen the ability to "gear up" for the upcoming fishing season without
havig to get loans. Full utilization is required, that is the entire carcass
must be landed and not just the penis bone as some would suggest. This is
rigidly enforced (no pun intended).

 Should anyone want more information on the "other" side of the issue I would
be pleased to discuss or provide information.  Just a personal note, I would
be one of the first in line IF I thought or it can be proven to me that the
hunt is unjustified, that the species is in danger or that the killing
methods are any worse than is practiced in slaughter houses.
Jerry Conway
Marine Mammal Coordinator
Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans
P.O.Box 550, Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 426-9609 or Jerry=C=Conway%HX1FHM%DFOSF@sfnet.dfo.ca