PCIS Occasional Papers On Whales

pcis@binc.net
Mon, 14 Apr 1995 05:40:55

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 15:37:11 -0500
From: pcis@binc.net (William C. Burns)
Subject: PCIS Occasional Papers On Whales
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

The Pacific Center For International Studies, a think tank specializing in
international wildlife law and conservation issues, announces the
publication of two new papers in its International Wildlife Law Occasional
Paper Series:

=B7 The International Whaling Commission in the 1990s: Problems and=
 Prospects,
P.C.I.S. International Wildlife Law Occasional Paper Series, No. 6,
December, 1994.  This paper examines the IWC from a historical perspective,
assesses the judiciousness of the resumption of commercial whaling,
including a critique the Revised Management Procedure, and proffers several
suggestions on how to strengthen the International Convention for the
Regulation of Whaling should the moratorium be lifted.=20
=20
=B7 The International Whaling Commission and the Regulation of Consumptive=
 and
Non-Consumptive Uses of Small Cetaceans: A Critical Agenda for the 1990s,
P.C.I.S. International Wildlife Law Occasional Paper Series, No. 5,
December, 1994.  This paper examines one of the most controversial and
pressing issue facing the IWC: whether the organization has legal competence
to regulate the taking of small cetaceans.  The paper examines the dangers
faced by the world=92s small cetacean species and provides extensive legal
analysis on the competence issue, utilizing the text of the ICRW, customary
international law, and principles of equity.

Copies of the papers are available for $11.00 apiece, which includes
shipping and handling; overseas customers should add $2.00 for shipping.
Orders may be placed by phone, fax or e-mail.  We will invoice academic
institutions and non-profit organizations. =20

William C. Burns, Pacific Center For International Studies, 33 University
Square, Ste. 184, Madison, WI 53715-1042.  Phone: (608) 257-6309, Fax: (608)
257-0417.  E-mail: pcis@ix.netcom.com, alternate e-mail: ecoguy2336@aol.com.