Info: IWC STATEMENT OF AFFIRMATION

Michael Williamson (whe_william@flo.org)
Mon, 29 May 1995 09:16:48

Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 09:08:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
Subject: Info: IWC STATEMENT OF AFFIRMATION
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 28-MAY-1995 17:06:18.79
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	IWC STATEMENT OF AFFIRMATION

Date:         Sun, 28 May 1995 15:58:43 -0400
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         RobbinsB@aol.com
Subject:      IWC STATEMENT OF AFFIRMATION
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

TO: MULTIPLE RECIPIENTS OF LIST M

From:  Robbins Barstow, Cetacean Society International, 190 Stillwold Drive,
Wethersfield, CT 06109 USA  (FAX: 203-257-4194)  (Internet: RobbinsB@aol.com)

On Monday, 29 May 1995, the 47th Annual Meeting of the International Whaling
Commission officially begins its week-long session in Dublin, Ireland.
 MARMAM recipients may be interested in the following "Statement of
Affirmation" which is being distributed at the IWC meeting by the Cetacean
Society International, and which has been co-signed by the 28
Non-Governmental Organizations listed at the end:

           A STATEMENT OF AFFIRMATION

   Addressed to Contracting Governments of the International
               Convention for the Regulation of Whaling
      by the Undersigned Non-Governmental Organizations

We believe that even if commercial whaling could be shown to be theoretically
sustainable, it cannot now be justified.  We therefore urge all member
nations to work toward the goal of an IWC management regime of total global
protection from consumptive, commercial exploitation, and from lethal
scientific whaling.

Sustainable use of natural resources does not require consumptive use.  We
believe that the optimum utilization of cetacean resources under the ICRW
must stem from non-lethal, non-consumptive research, recreational, and
educational activities, such as those involved in benign whalewatching.

While continuing to maintain staunch opposition to any resumption of
commercial whale killing or any change in the Commission's zero catch limits,
we urge member nations to participate in discussions that seek to establish a
failsafe system of supervision and control to be in effect should commercial
whaling, nevertheless, come to be authorized at some future date.

Meanwhile, we urge continued discussion of non-lethal research methods and
humane killing issues, including restraints on whaling under special permits
for scientific purposes.  We further urge active work to promote public
education regarding the ethical arguments against commercial whale killing.

As of 27 May 1995, the above "Statement of Affirmation" has been co-signed by
the
following 28 Non-Governmental Organizations:

CETACEAN SOCIETY INTERNATIONAL
WHALE AND DOLPHIN CONSERVATION SOCIETY
AMERICAN CETACEAN SOCIETY
WORLD WILDLIFE FUND
INTERNATIONAL FUND FOR ANIMAL WELFARE, U.S.
HUMANE SOCIETY INTERNATIONAL
HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES
EARTH ISLAND INSTITUTE
SIERRA CLUB