Info: babysitting dolphin

Michael Williamson (whe_william@flo.org)
Mon, 15 Jun 1995 22:37:09

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 20:28:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
Subject: Info: babysitting dolphin
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 15-JUN-1995 12:58:24.90
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Tursiops babysitting Delphinus

Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 1995 16:24:58 +0200
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         "Giovanni Bearzi / VET.FAK" <Giovanni.Bearzi@public.srce.hr>
Subject:      Tursiops babysitting Delphinus
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

Dear Marmamers,

last August we had the opportunity to observe an unusual event in our
study area, which is a part of the Croatian Kvarneric', in the Northern
Adriatic Sea.
A common dolphin (Delphinus delphis) was babysitting a newborn
bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus). The mother of the calf (a well
known, photoidentified individual named "Badfin") was staying nearby,
apparently involved in deep-water feeding activities but often surfacing
in a loose association with the couple.
Common dolphins are rare in the area, being observed by us only twice
in eight years of observations (totalling well over 2,000 hours at sea).
The only cetacean species regulaly observed in the area is the bottlenose
dolphin.
I was wondering if there are other similar reports in the literature. Is
there any first-hand observation of non-cospecific babysitting?
I would also like to receive any comment or hint.

Best,

Giovanni Bearzi

Adriatic Dolphin Project
Tethys Research Institute