Case Study: What kind of whale is this?

Michael Williamson (whe_william@flo.org)
Mon, 8 Sep 1995 18:31:08

Date: Fri, 08 Sep 1995 17:19:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
Subject: Case Study: What kind of whale is this?
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET"  6-SEP-1995 13:32:09.42
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Oregon whale

Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 1995 01:18:48 -0400
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Phocid@aol.com
Subject:      Oregon whale
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

There is a small dead whale on a beach in southern Oregon. I don't know
whales very well and have no books with me. It is a 6 1/2 to 7 meter long
baleen whale on its back. It is just about black everywhere except for a
white chin patch. Tail fluke is about 140 centimeters across and the baleen
is 8 to 20 centimeters to the gum line. The underside of the lower jaw has
three grooves.  From what I can see of the upper jaw it is very slender. The
whale is a male. Is this a young bowhead? If so, isn't Bandon Oregon fairly
far south? I shot a lot of pictures if they are of any importance to anyone.

Jeff Lederman