Info: Stranding Italy

Mon, 19 Jan 1996 14:10:43

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 14:04:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <pita@whale.simmons.edu>
Subject: Info: Stranding Italy
To: WhaleNet <whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 00:56:05 +0100
From: Junio Fabrizio Borsani <jfb@iol.it>
To: Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

I'm forwarding the following message from Dr. G. Notarbartolo-di-Sciara:

A 2-3 month-old fin whale has been observed in close vicinity to the west
coast of
Calabria (southern Italy) from 25 Dec 1995 to this date.  It seems to have been
separated from its mother for some reason and it is probably starving.  It
can be seen
virtually every day now, most of the time at the surface.  The media have
obviously
gone beserk over this episode and everybody would like to do something to help.

Some of the activities involve the introduction of chum (ground fish and
milk) in the
water in front of the animal.  I also fear that plans will be considered
involving the
harnessing and towing of the whale towards the high seas, in what I would
consider
basically a self-gratifying rodeo with most likely deadly consequences for
the little
whale.

I am wondering if there have been precedents of very young (i.e., lactating)
mysticetes
having been found in similar circumstances, and if there is anywhere in the
world
previous experience that we may capitalise upon.

Any suggestion from experienced colleagues will be very welcome.

Giuseppe Notarbartolo di Sciara
Tethys Research Instiute
email: gnstri@imiucca.csi.unimi.it
Junio Fabrizio Borsani