Prof develop: Dolphin Field School (fwd)

Mon, 1 Feb 1996 09:10:50

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 09:07:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <pita@whale.simmons.edu>
Subject: Prof develop: Dolphin Field School (fwd)
To: WhaleNet <whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:42:44 -0500
From: JoeGrist@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
Subject: Dolphin Field School

This is a re-posting of an annoucement put out two weeks ago.  Thank you to
those that have already responded.  JDG/DFS

CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT UNIVERSITY'S
DOLPHIN FIELD SCHOOL

Overview
Dolphin Field School (DFS) is conducted from the Eastern Shore of Virginia
(ESV); that sparsely-inhabited peninsula on the eastern side of the
Chesapeake Bay that adjoins Delaware and Maryland to the north.  Cape
Charles, at the southern end of ESV, is an important rallying point for
migrating dolphins as they return to the Chesapeake Bay and points north for
the summer.

DFS is an intergral component of a long term project evaluating the use of
Virginia and the upper North Carolina coastline by marine mammals.  The study
area we mainly use is approxiately 20 miles x 20 miles, mostly at the mouth
of the Chesapeake Bay, though we occasionally venture beyond this area.  We
closely monitor environmental parameters and observe habitat utilization by
dolphins along the low-human impact coastlines of ESV as well as the
highly-urbanized shorelines to the south and west.  The Chesapeake Bay
includes areas of intensive commercial and recreational fishing, much
pleasure-boating, and deep channels for both military and commercial
shipping.  Since the impacts of these activities are poorly documented, we
are measuring the effects of these and other factors on dolphins.
 Additionally, we take much data on dolphin behavior.  We analyze this data
for insights into social affiliation patterns, various behavioral gestures,
nursery/mother/calf associations, boat interactions, and other related
phenomena.  Through photographic identification of individual dolphins (photo
ID), with both 35mm photography and computer-interfaced videography, we keep
detailed records on individual dolphins in the population.  This information
is important, especially in light of the 1987-88 dolphin "die off", for
appropriate management of this stock of Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins.
 Results from our previous work have been presented at regional and
international scientific conferences and will be developed as manuscripts for
publication in journals as well as being useful for reports to state and
federal decision-making authorities.

Schedule/Courses
DFS 1996 will be conducted during four 3-week terms, between May 14th and
August 5th.  Students will reside at the CCFS facility during their terms of
enrollment.  DFS will offer four different courses during the sessions.  BIOL
295/395--Dolphin Field Research Methods (Intro course); BIOL 499--Independent
Study, Dolphin Research; BIOL295--Survey of Marine Mammals; BIOL495--Dolphin
Behavior.

Training
Students will learn field methods of wildlife observation and data recording
procedures, learn wildlife behavioral analysis, as well as become
knowledgeable in B/W photography/development, videography, and computer data
analysis.

MORE INFORMATION
For more information about DFS, please contact:

Joseph Grist, Director
Dolphin Field School/CNU
Dept. of Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Science
50 Shoe Lane
Newport News, Virginia, 23606-2998
(804) 594-7126
EMAIL:  JOEGRIST@AOL.COM  or  JGRIST@CNU.EDU