Entangled humpback (fwd)

From: mike williamson (williams@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 18:51:43 EDT

Entangled Humpback Whale in Bay Of Fundy

Yesterday afternoon at 3:00 PM we responded to a call from Mariner
Cruises of the re-sighting of an entangled humpback whale which had
previously been seen twice in the area. Previous searches by boat and
two aerial surveys of the Bay of Fundy had failed to re-sight the whale.
Mariner Cruises stood by the whale as long as they were able, then the
Canadian Coast Guard stood by until we could get there. Before sunset we
made a number of attempts at tagging the whale - all attempts were
unsuccessful.
We were able to obtain some digital images of the entanglement and the
tail fluke. The whale appears to be in good condition as far as body
weight and ability to move. However, we have never been able to
determine how far forward the gill net extends forward on the rostrum,
and how that might be affecting feeding. The weather is bad today and
the same is forecast for tomorrow. Once again, we are going to be
relying on a re-sighting of the whale by whale watchers or researchers.

Deborah Tobin
ECE Whale Emergency Network