Canadian Aerial Surveys (fwd)

From: mike williamson (williams@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 19:37:19 EDT

ECE/DFO Aerial Survey report September 10, 2000

Area flown: Roseway
Sea State: 1-3 (mostly 1)
Viz: Clear

Fin whales: 2
Minke: 1
Humpback: 2
Pilot: 4
White-sided dolphins: 106
Unidentified dolphins: 88
Basking sharks: 1
Unidentified sharks: 3
Ocean sunfish: 3
Leatherback Turtles: 2
Right whales: 6, at the following locations:

42 54.9/65 15.8
42 55.2/65 15.5
42 55.6/65 16.3
42 55.1/65 15.6
42 54.9/65 06.2

For Mike James, leatherback turtle locations:
42 39.7/65 53.3
42 59.9/65 13.1

To summarize, we have surveyed the Bay of Fundy twice and the
Roseway/Browns area three times.
Roseway:
Aug 18: 8 right whales
Aug 30: no right whales
Sept 10: 6 right whales.

On the next good weather day, we will cover some of the area between
Roseway and the Bay of Funday as the NEAQ team reports fewer right
whales in the Bay of Fundy, and many of them heading south. Also, we
have heard lots of gossip from fishermen this summer about right whales
in this area. Perhaps we'll pick up some travelling animals.
After that we will probably do one day on Emerald and the remainder (1
or 2 days)on the Bay of Fundy. At the conclusion of the aerial surveys,
we will continue with a Canadian Government contract to cover the Bay of
Fundy by vessel in the "shoulder season" (June, October, November), when
other researchers are not present in the Bay.

Deborah Tobin
East Coast Ecosystems
(902) 839-2962