NMFS/NEFSC/PSB Right Whale Aerial Survey, 20 March, 2001 (fwd)

From: mike williamson (williams@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 15:15:16 EST

Subject: NMFS/NEFSC/PSB Right Whale Aerial Survey, 20 March, 2001

   The NMFS, Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC, Woods Hole, Ma.)
conducted their first Right Whale aerial survey for Yr 2001. The NEFSC
utilizes a Grumman Goose aircraft captained by Charlie Smith. We generally
fly at 100 knots, and at 1000 feet. This years aerial survey team is
essentially the same as the previous two years and includes; Tim Cole, Amy
Lamb, Janeen Quintal, Cheryl Ryder and Frederick Wenzel. Our flights
usually depart from Plymouth, Ma., but will also depart during the early
spring and late fall months from Pease Airport, near Portsmouth, New
Hampshire.
   NOAA, NMFS in collaboration with the Massachusetts Division of Marine
Fisheries and WhaleNet have a website for updated information about Right
Whales. Further information can be found on the WhaleNet website.
http://whale.wheelock.edu and at
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/reportsRW_NE/

 Flight Summary for 20 March 2001

   Today's Right Whale aerial survey originated from Pease Airport,
Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Beaufort sea state was 1 to 3 all day, under
excellent sighting conditions.
   Our survey area included northern Jeffreys Ledge east to 70 West
longitude, south along the 70 W. longitude to Wildcat Knoll, to within six
miles of the eastern portion (backside) of Cape Cod, and into the waters
south of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. Our return flight included the
southern and western portions of the Great South Channel Critical habitat
area and the Boston entrance shipping lanes.
   Numerous sightings of white-sided dolphins, harbor porpoise and seals
were observed throughout the day and survey area. Only four large whales
were observed during this survey. One Right whale, associated with 5
White-sided dolphins were located (and photographed) on Wildcat Knoll.
Three humpbacks were observed in the waters six miles east of Chatham, Ma.

Frederick Wenzel
NMFS, NEFSC
166 Water St.
Woods Hole, MA. 02543