Data Location Seal Louise

From: Mike Williamson (williams@whale.wheelock.edu)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 14:35:29 EDT

A little frustrating, but we are still getting messages. Below are the two
good messages we received. This is not a lot, but I will take what I get at
this point. We continue to get signals at almost every satellite pass over
the tag, however we are not getting enough on each pass to locate the tag.
The locations we are getting are not very accurate. I think this is still a
problem that "Louise" may be moving quickly and erratically, and not getting
the tag out of the water enough to get off the signals we would need. This
may improve over time (one of these locations picked up six signals from the
tag, so that is a good sign).

The locations seem to be clustering around the location that looked the most
likely from yesterdays set of points. That is around ten miles or so east
of Cape Elizabeth, (just south of Portland...Maine). The points are not
very accurate, so it is not clear if there is a pattern. One possibility (I
think the most likely) is that "Louise" is moving quickly, but not in a
given direction around the area we are getting the location hits. This
weekend should give us some more to work with.

Another factor may be the weather or sea condition. At my end of the state
things are pretty calm, but I have not had a chance to check the ocean
conditions near where she is. Fortunately, there is good data on sea
conditions for that part of the Gulf of Maine.

We will see what Monday brings...

ge

The data:

01657 Date : 09.05.02 22:30:31 LC : 0 IQ : 40Lat1 : 43.394N Lon1 :
70.000W
01657 Date : 09.05.02 23:51:12 LC : A IQ : 06Lat1 : 43.551N Lon1 :
70.220W

Greg Early
Senior Scientist for Field Research
Marine Environmental Research Institute (MERI)
PO Box 1652
55 Main Street
Blue Hill, ME 04614
tel.: 207-374-2135 ex 15