Subject: White Whale???

(no name) ((no email))
Mon, 19 May 1994 15:03:48

Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 15:02:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: WHE_WILLIAM@flo.org
To: whalenet@vmsvax.simmons.edu

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 19-MAY-1994 12:31:32.42
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Re: White Whale on Oregon Coast?!

Date:         Thu, 19 May 1994 09:05:03 PDT
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Sallie Beavers <beaverss@BCC.ORST.EDU>
Subject:      Re: White Whale on Oregon Coast?!
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

On Wed, 18 May 1994, Kimberly Ann Blevins wrote:

> I  have just resently see a newspaper article that said a white California
 gray
> whale was seen and filmed of the coast of Oregon.

On Friday, May 6th at about 12:00 p.m. PDT a very white-looking gray
whale was video taped from Sea Lion Caves, Florence, Oregon.  The video
was taken by Mr. Hod Johnson, General Manager of Sea Lion Caves.  Based
on my viewing of the video (I did NOT see the whales themselves), the
whale was large, and in the company of three other gray whales, one of
which looked like it could have been a calf.  No claim of albinism has
been made.

Sallie Beavers
Hatfield Marine Science Center
Newport, Oregon