Subject: Whale Rescue-Australia (cont>)

(no name) ((no email))
Mon, 4 Nov 1994 12:54:36

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 1994 12:51:39 -0500 (EST)
From: WHE_WILLIAM@flo.org
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET"  3-NOV-1994 16:55:09.80
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	MANNING WHALE RESCUE ON

Date:         Wed, 2 Nov 1994 23:22:00 UTC
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         r.mallon1@genie.geis.com
Subject:      MANNING WHALE RESCUE ON
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

MANNING WHALE RESCUE ON AGAIN

   SYDNEY, Nov 2 AAP - Renewed attempts will be made early next
week to free a whale that has been trapped in the Manning River,
near Taree on the New South Wales mid-north coast, for 11 weeks.
   The deputy director of the NSW National Parks and Wildlife
Service, Alastair Howard, said the service would make use of a
revolutionary whale harness made by the Sea World aquarium on the
Queensland Gold Coast.
   "The cradle is made up of soft mesh floating between two
eight-metre rubber pontoons and has been designed by Sea World to
rescue animals as large as a 30-tonne humpback whales," he said.
   "The service had hoped that such intervention would not be
necessary, but after 11 weeks in the Manning River and several
attempts by the whale to return to the ocean on its own, we have
little choice."
   Mr Howard said concerns about the whale's health were growing
daily and it was vital to get the whale back to its natural
environment.
   "Following our inspection of the pontoon on Friday, I am
convinced it provides the best hope of returning the animal back to
its natural environment," he said.
   The rescue of the 10-tonne whale would take place in shallow
water to reduce the risks of stressing the animal, he said.
   Earlier attempts by the NPWS and volunteers to "muster" the
whale out to sea through the channels at the river mouth by a
cordon of speed boats proved unsuccessful.
   Mr Howard said the final decision on the rescue day was
dependent on weather and tides and would be made later in the week,
once the pontoon was completed and on-site at Taree.