Subject: Info: Human/Marine mammal transformations

(no name) ((no email))
Mon, 16 Nov 1994 12:28:49

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 12:26:41 -0500 (EST)
From: WHE_WILLIAM@flo.org
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 15-NOV-1994 19:28:58.02
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Re: human/marine mammal transformations (fwd)

Date:         Tue, 15 Nov 1994 11:13:09 -0600
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         "Susan E. Rodenkirchen" <srodenki@gac.edu>
Subject:      Re: human/marine mammal transformations (fwd)
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

information:

Of dolphins, men and myths:
"Dolphins, particularly pink dolphins (Inia geoffrensis), have long been
important in the mythology of Amazonian peoples.  According to one legend,
during the festivities that are part of a girl's coming of age, dolphins
would transform themselves- taking on human shapes and leaving the river.
Since they could still be rocognized, they'd wear large black hats to help
disguise their blowholes and prominent foreheads.  Entering the house where
the party was being held (being careful not to drink alcohol because they
would immediately be turned back into dolphins and die outside of the
water), the dolphin-men would seize the girl and carry her away forever to
their underwater cities."

The article can be found in the periodical, AMERICAS, (the E is accented).
It is titled, "A Fresh Look at River Dolphins.  The author is Omar Vidal.
It can be found on pages 43-47.

Susie Rodenkirchen
srodenki@gac.edu