Subject: Case Study: Use of Killer Whale Model

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 26 Nov 1994 13:33:40

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 1994 13:31:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@flo.org>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 20-OCT-1994 12:14:53.89
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Fish farmer has whale of an id

Date:         Thu, 20 Oct 1994 09:01:20 PDT
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         r.mallon1@genie.geis.com
Subject:      Fish farmer has whale of an id
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

Fish farmer has whale of an idea
    EDINBURGH, Oct 17 (Reuter) - A Scottish fish farmer has had
a whale of an idea to frighten away marauding seals which had
been damaging his nets and eating the salmon he raises inside
them.
    Charles Marsham, 44, asked a boatbuilder friend to construct
a 17-foot (five-metre) model of a killer whale, complete with
its distinctive black and white markings.
    The model was lowered into Loch Clash, the Highland sea
inlet where Marsham farms his fish, and he says it has cut his
losses from 200 salmon a week to around 10 -- and all of those
die only from natural causes.
    ``We occasionally get live killer whales around here and
they are the natural predators of seals. The idea came to me
after seeing a wildlife programme on television,'' Marsham said
on Monday.
    ``I asked my partner in a small boat-building business if he
could make a fibreglass whale. It's very distinctive, black with
a white underbelly and two great sweeps of white along the
flanks and white patches around the eyes.''
    Now Marsham, from the town of Rispond, is planning to build
more whale models to sell to other fish farmers in Scotland and
Ireland.