Subject: Info: Children's Whale Story

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 18 Jan 1995 08:13:24

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 08:11:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 17-JAN-1995 13:46:56.07
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	children's whale story

Date:         Tue, 17 Jan 1995 10:43:11 PST
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         "James K. Wetterer" <jwettere@acunix.wheatonma.edu>
Subject:      children's whale story
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

Hi everyone,
         I would like to offer a picture-book story I have written called
"Nancy's Whale" about a little girl who helps save a stranded pilot whale.

        I teach here at Wheaton College and I write ecological,
environmental children's picture book stories.  I'd be happy to send you
the stories over e-mail, for your kids, for your class, or for your own
amusement. I made this offer some weeks ago over four other bulletin boards
and I got many positive responses from all over the world.  Thanks to all
who responded.  Here are four other stories I'd be happy to send you:
"Kate's Caterpillars": Kate discovers a new species of butterfly and saves
a forest.
"Dinosaurs in the Backyard": Margaret wants a pet dinosaur, but finds that
dinosaurs live right in her own backyard (birds).
"Mary Veronica and the Dragon": Mary Veronica learns why dragons and other
animals hide from humans.
"Horseshoe Crabs and their Relatives" (non-fiction)
         All my fictional stories have a female protagonist.  I believe
that little girls need more role models, particularly in the sciences. Most
children's stories (and cartoons) have male protagonists.  This is done
under the assumption that girls will like stories about girls or boys, but
boys are only interested in stories about boys.  I believe that children
need to learn that it's not just a boy's world.
         I've had no luck publishing my stories.  Picture-book editors tell
me that they have no place for stories like mine that mix fiction and
science.  I believe that there is a place.  And I plan to keep trying.
Jim

jwettere@wheatonma.edu

James K. Wetterer
Department of Biology