Subject: Case Study: O. orca Question

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 18 Feb 1995 16:44:22

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 16:38:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

Orca preditory behavior is relativly unknown in the NW Atl.
Transient pods have
 have been in bays and inlets associated with Harbour
seals, thought (as far as
I know) no sigthings of actual 'kills'. The
transient populations seem to follow ballen migrations....for they travel
from Greenland to ??? seasonally. There seems to be some thought that NW
Atl. orcas present around th
e y. There seems to be some thought that NW
Atl. orcas present around the Maritim
es, are Arctic animals that for one
reason or another moved south.  If this movement is permenent or not is
not known (but unlikely).Again I ask my previous question... Why aren't
there resident populations in the NW Atl?

Does anyone have any idea?  Why is the presence of Ocra so different in the
northwest and the northeast of the North American continent?

Send response to me or
Wm. C. Bowers
wbowers@ganymede.cs.mun.ca

Thank you.