Subject: Case Study: Seals and Cod

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 28 Mar 1995 09:58:23

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 09:59:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 27-MAR-1995 19:31:32.67
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	seals & the cod fishery

Date:         Mon, 27 Mar 1995 18:30:09 -0500
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Mike Mascia <mbm4@ACPUB.DUKE.EDU>
Subject:      seals & the cod fishery
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

        I would be interested in comments on the following, PURELY
SPECULATIVE, hypothesis concerning the relationship between the seal
population and the recovery of the cod fishery.

        In terrestrial ecosystems, it has been demonstrated that the
presence of a healthy population of top predators is essential to
maintain balanced populations of others species lower in the food chain.
When non-preferential top predators, (which eat whatever they find, find
whatever is most common, and therefore eat the most common species most
often) are removed from an ecosystem, middle level predators explode in
abundance (a process termed "mesopredator release") and drive species low
on the food chain to local extinction or extreme rarity.

        Extropolating this scenario to the ocean, doesn't this
suggest that a healthy seal population is essential to the
recovery of the cod fishery?  If seals are in fact non-preferential top
predators, and juvenile cod are at the low end of the food chain, seals
may serve a vital role in enhancing cod recruitment by limiting the
populations of mesopredators.  Without seals, mesopredator release would
occur, dramatically increasing the pressures on juvenile cod and further
delaying or eliminating the rebound of the cod fishery.

        I apologize for my ignorance of the specific predator/prey relationship
between seals and cod, which may invalidate this hypothesis.  I recognize
that I am making assumptions for which I have no scientific basis.
However, my intent is simply to ask those more knowledgeable than I if
current scientific data support or discredit the scenario that I have
articulated.

Michael Mascia
student
Duke School of the Environment