Subject: Case Study: CSI Captivity Statement Reply

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 10 May 1995 15:44:21

Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 14:03:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET"  8-MAY-1995 01:38:45.53
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Re: CSI Captivity Policy Statement

Date:         Sun, 7 May 1995 22:37:22 PDT
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         fasick jeffry <jfasic1@gl.umbc.edu>
Subject:      Re: CSI Captivity Policy Statement
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

It is of my opinion, and I believe the opinion of others, that there is a
very real need for zoological parks and aquaria.  They educate those
people who may not have the means or fortune to travel to regions and
witness first hand an elephant, lion, or dolphin.  By denying people this
privilege is to deny them knowledge of their own world.  Growing up in
Chicago, I would have had no way of learning, understanding, nor
appreciation for cetaceans and pinnipeds.  It was zoological parks like the
Brookfield Zoo and aquaria like the John G. Shedd Aquarium that planted
the seed of curiosity in me to learn and study these magnificent
animals.  I have been studying, working with, and doing research on
marine mammals for the last 8 years.  It is my career and I am very
grateful the zoos and aquaria that I visited as a youth and now as a
young adult.

Within the zoos and aquaria that I have been associated with  we have
educated over a million people a year on the natural history of marine
mammals, we have seen our seals, sea lions, and dolphins give birth and
raise healthy pups and calves,  and we have rehabilitated sick wild animals
and released them back into the wild.  We have performed non-invasive
research to learn more about the animals visual and auditory
capabilities among other things.  What have you and your organization
done to educate the public about these animals or the scientific
community as to how they live?  How many animals have you rehabilitated
and released back to the wild?  Do you think we know as so much as we
do about dolphins and seals from studies in the wild alone?  It is beyond
me why you are wasting so much time, money, and resources on slandering
the very institutions that are doing more for the wild populations than
you could ever achieve in 10 lifetimes.