Subject: Case Study: Humane Killing Discussed at IWC

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 19 May 1995 09:44:39

Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 09:41:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 18-MAY-1995 12:05:48.84
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	NEW ZEALAND TO DEBATE `HUMANE KILLING' OF WHALES AT IWC MEETING

Date:         Thu, 18 May 1995 21:55:58 +1200
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Terry Hardie <terry@bytes.gen.nz>
Subject:      NEW ZEALAND TO DEBATE `HUMANE KILLING' OF WHALES AT IWC MEETING
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

18-May-95 12:44 pm Regular  National

NZ TO DEBATE `HUMANE KILLING' OF WHALES AT IWC MEETING

   Wellington, May 18 - The ``humane killing'' of whales will be
debated at an International Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting in
Ireland next week, New Zealand whaling commissioner Jim McLay said
in a statement today.
   A spokeswoman for Mr McLay, who is en route to the Dublin
conference, said the commissioner and Massey University veterinary
pathology and public health professor emeritus David Blackmore would
participate in a week-long workshop on whale-killing methods.
   They would describe how New Zealand was trying to help change
inhumane methods of killing whales, she said.
   ``Because New Zealand gets so many stranded whales, we have a lot
of experience in it.
   ``We have said to the commission that we want to share with you
the benefit of our experience,'' the spokeswoman said.
   Professor Blackmore's work shows that the ``lance'' method used
by Japanese whalers to kill a research quota of whales in the
southern ocean and sub-Antarctic ``wasn't delivering sufficient
current to kill the whales humanely'', the spokeswoman said.
   New Zealand and Britain would put forward a proposal at the IWC
meeting to have the Japanese whalers' lance killing method banned,
she said.
   Mr McLay said in the statement New Zealand would maintain its
robust opposition to commercial and scientific whaling at the
meeting.
   ``There is always a clash of interests, given the different and
frequently strongly held views of member governments on whaling.
   ``Despite this, the IWC has managed to make progress, such as
last year's decision to establish a southern ocean sanctuary.
   ``I will be reiterating New Zealand's strong concern that minke
whales continue to be killed within this area or, indeed, any other
area, for research,'' Mr McLay said.
   As well as participating in the workshop on whale killing
methods, Mr McLay will also be chairing a working group on
whale-watching.
   ``We will continue to negotiate on the full range of issues, with
the aim of obtaining the greatest possible protection of whales,''
he said.

NZPA WGT ks