Subject: Info-Stranding:Rescued Calif. porpoise

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 14 Jun 1995 16:52:42

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 14:10:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 13-JUN-1995 20:37:34.69
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Rescued Calif. porpoise holdin

Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 1995 11:14:00 UTC
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         r.mallon1@genie.geis.com
Subject:      Rescued Calif. porpoise holdin
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

Rescued Calif. porpoise holding own

     VALLEJO, Calif., June 12 (UPI) -- A baby harbor porpoise found
floundering in a tidal pool along the Monterey Bay shoreline faces an
uphill battle to survive, a Marine World-Africa USA official said
Monday.
   Jim Bonde, a spokesman for the research center, said the baby
porpoise got separated from its mother only hours after its birth and
was found Friday afternoon.
   "It's just fortunate she was swept in toward the beach and not out
to sea," he said. "A porpoise this young could not survive in the open
ocean."
   The baby porpoise, measuring 2 1-2 feet and weighing about 17 pounds,
was transported more than 100 miles by marine biologists from Monterey
to Marine World. She was placed in a holding tank and has been receiving
around the clock attention.
   "On Friday night, she needed help from a floatation device to swim,"
Bonde said. "Since then she has alternated between swimming pretty well
on her own to swimming next to a volunteer's leg as they walk around the
tank. Then there are times she needs to rest. It is easy to see she is
in a weakened state."
   Bonde said the young marine mammal did not appear ill. She was being
forced fed a soy milk mixture because the species' is lactose intolerant
and cannot drink cow's milk.
   Bonde said it was too early to predict the porpoise's long-term
survival, but if certainly would never be returned to the wild.
   "We are taking it one day at a time," he said. "We'll see if she
makes it for three weeks or a month. At that time, we'll make a decision
about her long-term future. We don't have harbor porpoises here, so she
likely would be shipped to a facility like the one at Point Defiance in
Tacoma."