Subject: Case Study: Riding a Right Whale

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 1 Sep 1995 20:21:05

Date: Fri, 01 Sep 1995 20:24:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET"  1-SEP-1995 13:37:41.67
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	RIDE ON RIGHT WHALE COSTS MAN $500

Date:         Fri, 1 Sep 1995 10:17:58 PDT
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Terry Hardie <terry@bytes.gen.nz>
Subject:      RIDE ON RIGHT WHALE COSTS MAN $500
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

24-Aug-95 03:41 pm Regular  International

RIDE ON RIGHT WHALE COSTS MAN $500

   Sydney, Aug 24 AAP - A New South Wales south coast man, fined
$A500 ($NZ575) for the ride of his life on the back of a southern
right whale, today stuck to his argument that it takes two to tango.
   Andrew Curven denied that he ``scrambled'' on the back of a whale
at Bermagui Harbour on June 2 last year, maintaining it was the
whale's idea to surface under him.
   However the Land and Environment Court found him guilty of
interfering with a marine animal and today fined the 29-year-old
unemployed fisherman from Burmagui.
   ``I'm a bit disappointed. I still stand by the fact that you
can't swim with a whale unless it wants to swim with you,'' Mr
Curven said outside court.
   ``It alone will initiate the contact and it alone will control
the amount of interaction it will have with a human being.''
Curven's advice to anyone contemplating interfering with a whale was
``obviously, don't do it''.

AAP mel