Subject: Case Study: ATOC and Humpbacks

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 10:30:40

Date: Mon, 01 Jan 1996 10:39:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 27-DEC-1995 12:59:51.10
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	ATOC

Date:         Wed, 27 Dec 1995 09:23:50 PST
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Hal Whitehead/Lindy Weilgart <HWHITEHEAD@Kilcom1.UCIS.Dal.Ca>
Subject:      ATOC
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

ATOC is now continuing transmissions despite the fact that its
Advisory Board noted that they "...could not categorically rule out
a relationship between the ATOC transmissions and the [three
humpback] whale deaths."  The Advisory Board, however, concluded that
the ATOC transmissions were "unlikely" to be responsible.  No
autopsies could be conducted on the three humpbacks.

It is disturbing to me that in a letter by Christopher Clark,
director of the Marine Mammal Research Program for ATOC, to Ann
Terbush, National Marine Fisheries Service, dated 9 Nov.,
    AFTER all three humpbacks were found in the general vicinity of
the ATOC source, and
    AFTER it was clear that Scripps had violated its permit by
conducting 12 broadcasts of the sound source, yet
    BEFORE there was any hard evidence as to the cause of death,

Dr. Clark still writes "My intent is to reschedule the start of the
transmissions for tomorrow morning..."

Luckily, thanks in part to pressure from environmental groups, this
did not happen.  Nevertheless, as an initial reaction by Dr. Clark,
this does not reflect a great deal of precaution and prudence from
someone charged with determining whether the ATOC transmissions are
harmful to marine mammals.

            Lindy Weilgart